What is an exercise test?
Exercise test helps your doctor gain a clear picture of your heart function. Since your body is more active during exercise test, it needs more oxygen. Therefore, your heart needs to pump more blood. This test can show whether the blood supply by the coronary arteries has tapered off or not.
- To check the ECG during activity, some leads are attached to your chest.
- You walk slowly on the treadmill, with a gradual increase in the speed and slope of the device.
- If unable to continue the activity for any reason, you will inform the attending nurse and the test will be stopped.
- At the end of the test, you need to lie down or sit on the bed for your heart rate to drop, and your blood pressure is checked
During the test, your heart rate, respiration, blood pressure and ECG, as well as your fatigue level are monitored.
Why this test is requested:
- Evaluating and diagnosing coronary artery diseases
- Diagnosing the underlying cause of symptoms related to heart disorders such as shortness of breath and lightheadedness
- Determining the safe level of activity for the patient
- Predicting the risk of cardiovascular events
- Checking the effectiveness of the treatment process
Necessary preparations for the test:
- Have a small meal on the day of the test.
- Avoid smoking for six hours prior to the exercise test.
- Female patients should leave their personal accessories at home.
- Men must shave their chest hair (area from the shoulder down to the belly button).
- Take a shower.
- Bring your ECG and other cardiac evidence, such as a previous exercise test or echocardiogram.
- Ask a relative or friend to accompany you
- Carodilol, Propranolol, Metoprolol (metoral or methohexal), Atenolol, Misoprolol (Concor), Diltiazem, Nimodipine and Nifedipine must be stopped 48 hours and Nitrocantin – Netirocastin – Nicurandil – Nitroxil –Max Nitro- SUSTAC 24 hours before the exercise test.
- Arrive at the medical center at least 10 min before your appointed time. If for some reason you could not make that date, call 38478078 at least 24 hours in advance and cancel your appointment.
Exercise test is only performed at the request of a cardiologist. Therefore, when visiting the clinic, make sure to bring the doctor’s request with you.